Recently, I received a message from one of our readers. I know her well and her humble ways and genuinely intellectual skills. Yet, I know that she would like to remain “behind the scenes”. Hence, while I quote the feed back from this reader, I keep it anonymous, but with a sincere and genuine “Thank you”! Here is the message that I have received from this reader:
In response to the “Many facets of silence”:
To be honest, in my opinion this is one of the best blogs. I guess it touched a chord so close to what I feel but, cannot express it eloquently. I must have read and re-read at least 10 times and got more out of it each time.
You also touched upon the “apparent” silence where thoughts – (turbulence /thaamasic/ sathvic) – of different quality are still present. To simply observe and let them pass is easier said than done!! All in all it was beautiful! Thank you!
About “Silence”, I have compiled the following – including several quotes from the internet – as teaching material for the class of young students. It is something to ruminate upon and carry that thought and practice to daily activity. You could add it to the comment but seriously your blog said it all.
- “I am the silence among all aspects of the universe (things and persons) that are tranquil and silent.” BG: 10.38
- “In the light of silence, all problems are dissolved.” J. Krishnamurti
- “Silence is the highest eloquence.” Shri Ramana Maharshi
- “Silence is the first door to spiritual eminence.” Vivekachoodamani 368
- “Be still.” Shri Ramana Maharshi on his summary of spiritual practice (sadhana).
- In silence, we can know ourselves.
- In silence, we observe better. A reacting mind is noisy.
- In silence, we come upon right action. A noisy mind leads to distorted action.
- In silence, we understand others. Otherwise we are in our own world.
- “Out of purity and silence come words of power.” Swami Chinmayananda
- “Be Silent and hear Him” Sri Sai Narayan Baba..
- Midnight brought on the dusky hour, friendliest to sleep & silence.
- The call of Baba is silence.
- Silence is full of potential wisdom & with it the uncut marble of great sculpture.
- Silence is the best tactic for having union with Him.
When we pray God hears us, but it is only in silence, that we can hear Him.